From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:47:23 -0500
------- Original Message --------
Subject:        WPC Map Society Mtg; 23 August @UNC-Chapel Hill
Date:   Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:12:55 -0400
From:   Jay L <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

William P. Cumming Map Society program scheduled at UNC-Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 23, the WPCMS will gather for a program in the Wilson
Library on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill. Our hosts and speakers will
include Elizabeth Chenault, Co-manager, Rare Book Collection and
Librarian for Public Services, and Nicholas Graham, North Carolina
Maps Project Librarian in the Carolina Digital Library and Archives.

Libby will discuss and show a variety of maps neatly tucked away in
"non-map" books. She will have on display a number of examples from
the remarkable Rare Book Collection in the Wilson Library. These maps,
though frequently garnering less attention than their atlas siblings,
include some true cartographic gems.

Nick will give us a preview of the extraordinary work he has been
performing as head of a three-year collaborative effort between the
North Carolina State Archives, the UNC-Chapel Hill Library, and the
Outer Banks History Center. This prodigious project, North Carolina
Maps, will eventually digitize around 1,500 maps from the three
partner institutions, including nearly all original NC maps published
prior to 1923.

The exact schedule has not been set, but our intent is a 2 or 2.5 hour
late morning affair on August 23. If you anticipate attending and wish
to receive final details, please contact me at your earliest
convenience via this web site:

http://www.cummingmapsociety.org/contact.htm .

Mor specific details  will be conveyed next month to those interested;
this will be the only listserv notification.

Best regards,
Jay L.

Jay Lester
William P. Cumming Map Society