From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:15:57 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:24:30 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Cataloging manuscript maps <fwd>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Frances Pollitt asked about her cataloging of a manuscript map and gave us
the URL to her library's OPAC.  The only thing I would change is in the
scale statement. After the representative fraction, she put in parentheses:
Scale statement reads, "80 rod to one inch."
You could drop the "Scale statement reads" part and just transcribe the
statement that appears on the map.  According to the "Cartographic
Materials" map cataloging manual, rule 3B2 says, "For cartographic materials
having linear scales which are unfamiliar or no longer used, the verbal
statement of scale on the item may be recorded, in quotation marks, as
additional scale information, or it may be recorded in a note."  So your
scale statement could read: Scale [ca. 1:15,840]. "80 rod to one inch".  The
record in your catalog currently has a colon and a space before the
representative fraction.  According to "Cartographic Materials," this is not
used. It's just the word Scale, a space, then the fraction or abbreviation
ca.

Brian Falato
Serials/Maps Cataloger
University of South Florida