From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2014 07:18:18 -0500

From: Kollen, Christine E - (kollen) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 3:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: MAGIRT LibGuide Data Sources tab

Hi everyone:

A subset of the GeoTech Committee (Cynthia Dietz, Angie Lee, John Olson,
Matt Parsons, Wangyal Shawa and I),  and Matt Parsons from the University of
Washington are working on adding a tab to the MAGIRT LibGuide for data
sources.  Last summer at the GeoTech Committee we reviewed the Geospatial
Technologies tab on the MAGIRT LibGuide
(http://magirt.ala.libguides.com/resources) and thought that one area that
folks have problems finding geospatial data for is state and local data.

We've divided the U.S. into regions (and  Canada) and will be working on a
list of geospatial data sources for the states, counties and major cities in
those regions.

Our criteria for inclusion:

*         State portal whether hosted at a state institutions (universities
and colleges) or a state agency (in some states, an official state portal
may only include basic data such as county boundaries, city boundaries,
roads etc.)

*         Other state portals if they cover specific categories, such as
environmental, demographic, etc. that are maintained by state agencies

*         Local agencies (counties and major cities)

*         Data included must be:

o   Freely available

o   Downloadable

o   Metadata available (doesn't necessarily need to be FGDC compliant)

*         May include:

o   Ability to preview data, such as with map services

In general, we have a pretty good handle on what's available in our state,
but not necessarily in the other states that are in our region.

That's where you can help us!  If you have any recommendations, please send
them to the regional editor, listed in the table below:

Region

Regional Editor

Email

Southwest

Chris Kollen

Southeast

Joy Suh

Northwest

Matt Parsons

Northeast

John Olson

Wangyal Shawa

Midwest

Angie Lee

Canada

Cynthia Dietz

Our plan is to have at least a preliminary Data Sources tab ready by ALA.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Kollen

Data Curation Librarian