From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:46:59 -0600
forwarded email ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:         Know of any collections in danger of disappearing?
Date:   Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:45:24 -0500
From:   Brandy King <[log in to unmask]>

Colleagues:

I am sending this survey notice on behalf of a student with whom I’m
working on the Data At Risk Inventory project at the UNC-Chapel Hill
School of Information and Library Science.  If you know of any data
collections (especially non-digital data or data in out-dated formats)
at your workplace that are in danger of disappearing, please consider
participating in the survey.

Davenport “Dav” Robertson, MSLS, FSLA

Professor of the Practice

School of Information & Library Science

University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

********

Colleagues:

I am a graduate student leading the Data-at-Risk Student Learning Circle,

at the SILS Metadata Research Center, University of North Carolina at

Chapel Hill.  Our work supports the international *Committee on Data for

Science and Technology (CODATA) Data at Risk Task Group*’s efforts.

The following survey is intended for librarians, archivists and information

custodians who are involved in any aspect of data curation.

We are seeking participation in an important survey on valuable, research

data that are at risk of being lost forever. Examples of at-risk data

include fragile laboratory notebooks, glass plates and floppy disks. By

sharing your experience you are making a positive contribution to the

future provision of data services within the scientific setting.

To complete the survey, click the link below.

https://uncodum.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cCFP3j3xthD2ivq

NOTE: If you are unable to click on the link directly, please type the

entire link into the address or location field at the top of your web

browser, and press the ENTER key on your keyboard to access the survey.

Additional information on the study:

***What are your rights as a research participant?*

You are being asked to take part in a research study. Participation is

voluntary. You are free to skip any particular question and have the right

to withdraw at any time. Responding to the survey indicates your consent to

participate in the study.

* **Who is doing the survey?*

The survey is conducted by the UNC Data At Risk

Initiative<http://ils.unc.edu/mrc/dari/>(DARI), a project of the Committee

on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) Data at Risk Task Group(DARTG).

Part 1 of the DARI project has developed an inventory to store
information about

endangered data. The goal of part 2 is to design data preservation
strategies to save these data.

***How will your privacy by protected?*

Your individual responses will be strictly confidential. Only aggregated

data will be shared and no individual responses will be identified.

Summaries of the results will be made available through conference

presentations, publications and on the web at http://ils.unc.edu/mrc/dari/

* **What are the possible risks and benefits from being in the study?*

There are no anticipated risks or benefits to you; however, there will be

benefits to the scientific and library community at large in that knowledge

of data at risk will help them design data rescue and preservation

efforts.

* **Does the study have ethics approval?*

Yes, this research is reviewed by the UNC Institutional Review Board that

works to protect your rights and welfare. If you have questions or concerns

you may contact, anonymously if you wish, the University of North Carolina

at Chapel Hill Institutional Review Board at (919) 966-3113
<tel:%28919%29%20966-3113> or by email to

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

* **What if you have questions about the study?*

If you have any questions about the study or know of others who would like

to participate, please do not hesitate to contact me at

<[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Thank you. Your participation will enhance the completeness and accuracy of

the study’s conclusions.

Sincerely,

Cheryl A. Thompson

Data At Risk Initiative, CODATA