From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1993 11:26:14 EDT
Linda,
     That's a really tough question.  I am a strong proponent of not
backtracking with technology.  At the same time I don't usually recommend
jumping blind.  Consider this:  SVGA, if properly supported with monitor and
memory, can create a MUCH better image -- crisper on detail.  What do you
think is the liklihood that geographical data will continue requiring that
greater detail?  I don't know.  Logically, the answer is an evident yes.  But
we are dealing with a government funded group and the answer, then, is not so
certain.  "Is a puzzlement."  My general leaning is to mildly suggest trying
to get it.  But what if USGS comes out with a CD-ROM which requires a Sun
Sparc WorkStation?  That has even more detail capability.  "Is a puzzlement."
Maybe you should just opt for a Sun which runs PC applications.  Then your
administrator can say "So, you want a Sun.  Do you want the Moon and the
stars, too?"  You can reply, "Not till next year."  Good luck.

Debra Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah  84112

   Hello All,
     Back from vacation 6 hours and I am already back on Maps-L.

       I am in the process of working on our equipment request for the
   coming year.  I am aware that one of the recent USGS CD-ROMS (no. 8)
   requires SVGA, which our library doesn't have at present.  My big
   question is, when the 14,000 CD's start coming, what format will THEY
   require?  It is easier to justify SVGA (or some other fancy format)
   for more than one CD-ROM.  If there was additional information on
   this subject at ALA or SLA, I would like to know.  Maybe the people
   at USGS know???
       Please reply to the net, as I am sure that others will need this
   type of information too.
   Linda Zellmer