From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2013 07:57:29 -0600
Subject: Re: insurance value of map collection
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 21:48:08 -0700
From: MARY GALNEDER <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings,

In 2000, I gave a paper "Insurance values for map collections" at the
Geography and Map Division, SLA, meeting. I think I was referred to one
paper which gave cost estimates, but most responses seemed to rely on
best guesses except for rare map collections, which looked at auction
prices. The paper did not generate as much discussion as I had hoped.

UW Madison was also self-insured and special librarians on campus helped
the Risk Management Office design forms where librarians could provide
estimates of numbers of items held and rough values. Jamie Stoltenberg,
the map librarian at UW, may be willing to share that form. If not, I
should still have a copy of the one in use in 2000. Please contact me in
about two weeks as I am "on the road." It's nice to be retired!

Mary Galneder
(retired from Robinson Map Library, UW-Madison)