From:
Susan Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2015 06:52:29 -0500
Hi Rick,

Tackling the second question first, there are libraries that require the
latitude and longitude in all there records. If you don't require them and
they aren't on the map, you can take them out. But with the bounding box
tool, it's easy enough to check.

Now to the question of one map or two, if the two sections have the same
title, I would be inclined to catalog it as one map both sides but would
make it clear in the 034 and 255 fields that there are two scales. I would
use a note field to explain the situation if you feel it's needed.

Susan Moore
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015, Rick Grapes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I’ve got a cataloging question.
>

> I’ve found some copy cataloging that I plan on changing locally.  This is
an exact record, so I’m not altering something similar.  The record
describes 1 map both sides, and includes one 034 and one 255 field.  But
further examination shows that the “1 map both sides” has 2 different
scales.  Not even close.  Thus I’d prefer to describe these as 2 maps both
sides etc. even though the 2 are north south extentions of each other, they
both have the same titles within the neat line, as well as the same cover
title.  Is my thinking correct, to describe these as 2 maps both sides,
solely because of the differing scales, and in spite of the other
similarities?  That’s my 1st question.

> Secondly, the original record included the latitude longitude coordinates
in the 034 and 255, but there is no Latitude longitude info. on the map
anywhere.  Zero, nichts, nada.  I have no idea where these coordinates came
from, and without doing the math myself, have no idea of its accuracy.
Should I do the math and extrapolate the latitude longitude for both sides
myself, inserting the additional fields?  Is it safe to distrust the
original cataloging to a certain degree because of the different scales,
and thus assume the latitude longitude may be incorrect also?  What is the
general consensus about catalogers inserting latitude longitude when the
item itself does not show such data at all?