From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1993 12:19:30 EDT
This message was sent in by Larry Cruse and was downloaded, I think, from
GOVDOC-L.  ------------Johnnie

      21 Sep 93 10:04:00 -0800
         NTIS FedWorld On Internet

NTIS FedWorld on Internet

I can now formally announce that NTIS FedWorld is available via Internet.
To telnet to FedWorld, type:

telnet fedworld.gov

Some govdoc-l'ers may be using a temporary address, fedworld.doc.gov.
While this address still works, at some point in the future, it will
be disconnected.

Once on FedWorld, it is possible to connect to more than 100 govt. operated
bulletin boards and online systems.  Many, if not most, of these systems
are not otherwise available via Internet.  Right now, FedWorld is receiving
about 1,300 calls per day from users calling in from around the country.
The long term goal of FedWorld is to allow users to locate and access
Government information.

Currently FedWorld is supporting seven incoming Internet lines.  That will
increase to 16 by the end of this week, with more coming as needed.  Please
be patient with us as we learn and grow.

It is expected that NTIS will soon be exploring the world of gopher,
FTP and WAIS.  It is yet to be seen just how these systems will operate,
but at least expect to be able to access dozens, if not hundreds of NTIS
promotional files and products.

Bob Bunge
FedWorld Business Mgr