From:
David R Soller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:37:59 -0500
Chris -

The questions you raised are of critical long-term concern to the scientists who use our libraries, and so I read your note with great interest.  To support certain needs of our State-Federal geological survey community, each year we hold a technical meeting "Digital Mapping Techniques" (of which you're well aware, as you participated in 2013!).  At DMT'14, the hottest topic was, without a doubt, a session entitled " So much paper and so many digits — deciding how to manage both, in the midst of the Digital Revolution" (http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Info/dmt/DMT_presentations.html#dmt14).  It might be expected that GIS-oriented scientists would favor digits rather than paper, but there was strong sentiment that the source information absolutely must be preserved.  Much is lost by "having a bonfire" after paper records are scanned.  Also, born-digital information is at great risk of being lost, as you well know, but that issue isn't the pressing one that you refer to, since such products don't take up much floor space!

At DMT'14, we resolved to put together a document for geological survey management that would describe the problem, and offer solutions.  We have not yet started that work, but would very much like to work with you and others in the Library community, to present the arguments as clearly as possible.  If your call to this listserve produced responses that you can use in your white paper to CSM officials, I'd really like to also use them in the DMT document.  Ideally, the issues could be best expressed in a document written by a group with more visibility than DMT, and I and other geological survey folks could then simply refer our managers to it.

Thanks.

Dave Soller
Chief, National Geologic Map Database