From:
Lucia Lovison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 23:26:09 -0400
Hi:

I'm also away from my office, right now, but I'd like you  to consider that
the field 034 in MARC21 recites "Contains cartographic mathematical data,
including scale, projection, and/or coordinates in coded form. For digital
items, the coordinates can represent a bounding rectangle, the outline of
the area covered and/or the outline of an interior area not covered. For
celestial charts, it may also contain zone, declination data, and/or right
ascension data, and/or equinox. There should be an 034 field corresponding
to each 255 field in a record."

So, it is critically  important to know how a cataloger derived the 034/255
fields in order to proceed with the georeferencing of the relative digital
data.

For some maps, we have geographic coordinate in decimal degrees or DD with
respect to Greenwich (digitally, it is what computers/developer like it),
for others  they are in sessagesimal degrees.

Furthermore, do we want to take at face value a bounding box determination,
that probably consider the Earth as a spheroid while our map may adopt a
specific set of projections, datums and declinations?
For example, I deal a lot with historical maps of Africa (but also with
modern maps and data): the map authors have through the centuries
experimented with all types of projections, coordinates and datums. They
all have different parameters and errors.

I think that if we tell catalogers --with a policy -- to apply a "fit all"
bounding box, we allow them to introduce additional (geodetic) errors that
may be propagated.

My suggestion is to ask catalogers to write in the 034/255 fields MARC 21,
 the geographic coordinates at the present day in DD (so with respect to
the Greenwich Meridian, specifying it--since many maps refers to other
system of reference-- to make easier the georeferencing), but also to
specify --where possible -- the type of projection and other geodetic
parameters (such as datum, declination, scale and others) that were used by
the author(s).

If you want to make easier for them to estimate the geographic coordinates
(DD with respect to Greenwich):  calculate them with Google Earth as
geographic points (it is just one example, I'm sure that there are many
more). Somewhere, they/you need to write explicitly that Google Earth uses
a reference system that considers the Earth a spheroid with WGS84 datum. To
introduce also a polygon (the bounding box) means to me that somewhere a
cataloger must specify which projection and conversion she/he has adopted
in addition of all the original parameters.  Very prone to errors and
better to leave the "judgement call" to whoever uses those digital data, in
my opinion

I hope this helps. Have a good work.
Cheers,

Lucia