From:
Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 1995 14:43:42 EDT
Hi, Susan,
Re your query about Vancouver.  We do not have counties in the same sense
as the US, and some other Canadian provinces, e.g. Ontario.  We have a
number of different districts for different purposes, e.g. Land
Districts, for land title registration.  Our counties are for judicial
purposes.  For government purposes, Vancouver is the next step below
British Columbia.  The Greater Vancouver Regional District is more of a
voluntary organization including Vancouver city and the adjacent cities
in the Lower Mainland to coordinate planning and services within the
metropolitan area.
I hope this helps.
Fran W.

On Mon, 1 May 1995, SUSAN GOODMAN wrote:

> From:   ZODIAC::GOODMAN      "SUSAN GOODMAN" 28-APR-1995 14:06:46.51
> To:     IN%"[log in to unmask]"
> CC:     GOODMAN
> Subj:   county/province info
>
> A faculty member needs to find out the county/state/province or other
> administrative unit for the following cities.  I have searched the
> gazetteers and atlases in my library and the Canadian geographic
> name server.  I tried the DMA www site but could not get connected.
>
> Vancouver, BC (we know the province, he needs whatever the smaller unit
>                is)
>
> The following cities are in the Netherlands.  I'm not sure that the
> spelling he gave me is correct.
>
> Alhmaan or Alkmaar
> Enkhuizen
> Andych or Andijk
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Susan

> Susan Goodman
> Library of Science & Medicine
> Rutgers University
> Piscataway, NJ 08855

Frances Woodward, Special Collections & University Archives Division,
Main Library, University of British Columbia, 1956 Main Mall, Vancouver,
B.C. V6T 1Z1
Tel: (604) 822-2819  Fax: (604) 822-9587  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a map is worth a million!"