AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Christa Steinkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christa Steinkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:19:53 -0500
--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Aria Lane Rechenbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: Athens Young Scholars Program - Summer 2024

Greetings,

This is a reminder that the *UGA Young Scholars internship application
closes in 8 days*, on January 31, 2024.

Please share this opportunity with your students.

I hope to see a few applicants from your school!

*Apply Here: *https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3faNYgQ9comIkPI

*Internship Dates:* May 28, 2024- July 12, 2024. (Interns who are residents
will move in on May 28th and all interns are required for onboarding and
orientation on May 28th, 2024).

*Stipend*:  $$13.25 bi-weekly.

*Dorms*: Interns selected to reside on campus must deposit $700 towards
dorms, and we will cover the rest. This year, we are accepting 20 students.
2-3 per high school, and we only accept 8 residents maximum. That means
that we accept 8 interns who would have a commute of an hour plus.

*Meal Plans: *For residents, meal plans are covered, but for commuters, we
only provide lunch tickets once a week. Commuters are local county schools
who must commute each day. Residents are from the Atlanta metro area or out
of state, etc.

Want to hear why other faculty members host a Young Scholar? Click below to
hear from the Dean, professors, YSP Students, and more who participated in
YSP!

*Links*!

Mentors: https://youtu.be/n-YceInEtPQ

Students: https://youtu.be/ylf1xvOMxpQ

All: Click on my signature below to learn more about YSP!

About YSP
<https://www.canva.com/design/DAFenMYs118/HRonnmKV0e0ZSQcXAmXBkQ/edit?utm_content=DAFenMYs118&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link2&utm_source=sharebutton>

Apply here - Application link
<https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3faNYgQ9comIkPI>

*May 28, 2024*

May 28, 2024: Intern orientation 1-3pm in room 103 Conner Hall. campus and
lab walking tour afterwards.

May 28, 2024: Interns move into GA hotel at 7pm.

June 2, 2024: Interns move into dorms 8am-12pm and chaperones help!

*May 29, 2024*

May 29, 2024, Welcome BBQ Delta Hub 12-1pm.

*Overview*

May 30, 2024, First day of work 8-5, lunch break

May 31-June 6 Work regular schedule

June 7 - Interns off for field trip.

June 10-18 Work regular schedule

June 19 - interns off for holiday.

June 20-July 3 Work regular schedule

July 4 -July 5 interns off for holiday

July 8 - Last day of work for interns

July 9 - Interns present

July 10-12 Interns off work for conference week with Griffin and Tifton

Job ends: July 12, 2024, at 5pm

*Mrs. Aria Rechenbach *

*Athens - Young Scholars Program *

*Agricultural & Stem Internship  *

*For Highschool Sophomores -Seniors (ages 16-18)*

College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences

201a Conner Hall | 147 Cedar Street | Athens, GA 30602

*office: (706) 542-2713 *

*Apply here*: *CAES Young Scholars Program
<https://www.caes.uga.edu/students/prospective-students/youth-high-school-programs/young-scholars.html>*

*Overview of Ath**ens YSP here: **A Day in the Life of YSP
<https://www.canva.com/design/DAFenMYs118/HKjUc7Bx4jtjRN6rxEeVKA/view?utm_content=DAFenMYs118&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink>*

*Overview Athens. Griffin .Tifton : * *Slideshow with music
<https://www.canva.com/design/DAFGAUYnWlc/NsAqdUMZPGBL2dCfA3QR-Q/watch?utm_content=DAFGAUYnWlc&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink>*

*Hear from YSP Alumni here:* *YSP Internship <https://youtu.be/ylf1xvOMxpQ>*

*Aria Rechenbach *

------------------------------
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; Travis Sertich <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>;
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>;
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>;
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>;
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]>; Christa Steinkamp <[log in to unmask]>;
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>;
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings,

This is a reminder that the UGA Young Scholars internship application is
open and closes on January 31, 2023.

Please share this opportunity with your students, as this allows them to
discuss the opportunity with their parents during the thanksgiving break.

* http://ysp.caes.uga.edu/ <http://ysp.caes.uga.edu/>*

[...]

Interns move-in: 8am-12pm. Dorm TBD. The dorm is assigned from housing in
late Spring.

Intern Orientation into their dorms: May 28, 2024, 1am-3pm Conner Hall room
103, snacks provided.

Chaperones help interns move in and stay for orientation on May 28, 2024.

*May 29, 2024*

May 29, 2024, Welcome BBQ Delta Hub 12-1pm.

*Overview*

May 30, 2024, First day of work 8-5, lunch break

May 31-June 6 Work regular schedule

June 7 - Interns off for field trip.

June 10-18 Work regular schedule

June 19 - interns off for holiday.

June 20-July 3 Work regular schedule

July 4 -July 5 interns off for holiday

July 8 - Last day of work for interns

July 9 - Interns present

July 10-12 Interns off work for conference week with Griffin and Tifton

Job ends: July 12, 2024, at 5pm

*Mrs. Aria-Lane Rechenbach *

*Athens - Young Scholars Program *

*Agricultural & Stem Internship  *

*For Highschool Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors (ages 16-18)*

College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences

201a Conner Hall | 147 Cedar Street | Athens, GA 30602

*office: (706) 542-2713 *

*Apply here*: *CAES Young Scholars Program
<https://www.caes.uga.edu/students/prospective-students/youth-high-school-programs/young-scholars.html>*

*Overview of Ath**ens YSP here: **A Day in the Life of YSP
<https://www.canva.com/design/DAFenMYs118/HKjUc7Bx4jtjRN6rxEeVKA/view?utm_content=DAFenMYs118&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink>*

*Overview Athens. Griffin .Tifton : * *Slideshow with music
<https://www.canva.com/design/DAFGAUYnWlc/NsAqdUMZPGBL2dCfA3QR-Q/watch?utm_content=DAFGAUYnWlc&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink>
*

*Hear from YSP Alumni here:* *YSP Internship <https://youtu.be/ylf1xvOMxpQ>*

*Hear from UGA faculty researchers here: **UGA Faculty
<https://youtu.be/n-YceInEtPQ>*

*Flicker photos: **Closing ceremony photos -mix and mingle
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/ugacommunications/albums/72177720310315496>*

*Flicker photos: **Closing ceremony photos - graduation
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/ugacommunications/albums/72177720310327353>*

*Flicker photos:* *Research in-action photos
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/ugacommunications/albums/72177720309578539>*

*Flicker photos: **Welcome BBQ - Meet your mentor!
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/ugacommunications/albums/72177720308999065>*

*Aria Rechenbach *

------------------------------
[...]
*Subject:* Athens Young Scholars Program - Summer 2024

 Hello FFA chapters and Schools,

I hope you are doing well. I am reaching out about internship opportunities
for the University of Georgia's *Athens Young Scholars Program.*  I am
seeking high school (16-18 years old) students interested in Agriculture,
environmental science, engineering, mathematics, and food and those with
interests closely related to the attached forms. If you have CTAE, FFA or
4-H students interested, please share this information with them! I am
available via zoom to meet with interested students if you collect an
interest sheet. October is very flexible; please send me your availability
for zoom info sessions for interested students. You are also welcome to
send me a calendar invite through outlook!

*If this email should be sent to someone else, please direct me to the
right person.*

Below, I've attached the email I am sending to recruit interns, and I would
be grateful if you could share it with your *High School department
listserv. Websites, newsletters, and social media accounts *

(Note that this internship is held at Athens, Griffin, and Tifton but that
this email is for Athens interns only).

The Young Scholars Program is a paid five-week summer internship
opportunity for high school students interested in agricultural, food, and
environmental sciences. Selected students work 30 hours per week, Monday
through Friday, actively engaged in research under the guidance of a
faculty mentor on the UGA Athens campus. Young Scholars will be sent home
on the 4th of July, Juneteenth, and the weekends. YSP aims to expose
selected students to college life and encourage them to apply to the
University of Georgia, especially CAES. Additionally, we want to build good
relationships with faculty and serve as the school of choice for the
selected promising students.

UGA faculty mentors and or their graduate assistant provide
academics/lab/research experience. http://ysp.caes.uga.edu/

(Note that this internship is held at Athens, Griffin and Tifton. This
email is seeking Athens interns only. YSP is independently run at all 3
campuses).

All interested students are eligible to apply. However, we only accept
students who are interested in Agricultural, food, and Environmental
Sciences and those with scientific knowledge, which can be difficult as
most schools do not have students who understand the field of Agricultural
and Environmental Sciences or are interested in them. I've attached majors
so students can explore them before they apply.

*Internship Date*s: May 28, 2024- July 12, 2024. (Interns who are residents
will move in on May 28th and all interns are required for onboarding and
orientation on May 28th 2024).

*Stipend:  *$10.50 bi-weekly.

[...]

Regards,

<https://www.canva.com/design/DAFGAUYnWlc/NsAqdUMZPGBL2dCfA3QR-Q/watch?utm_content=DAFGAUYnWlc&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink>Slideshow

<https://youtu.be/ylf1xvOMxpQ>*

* [image: cid:image002.png@01D9A9D2.C1D94BD0][image:
cid:image003.png@01D9A9D2.C1D94BD0]
<https://www.instagram.com/uga_ysp_athens/>*

--

Christa

Christa Steinkamp, EdS

*Georgia Agricultural Education*

Curriculum & Technology Director

1420 Experiment Station Road

Watkinsville, GA 30677

www.gaaged.org

706-244-8991 Cell

706-542-6366 Office

*Agricultural Education Mission*

"Agricultural education prepares students for successful careers and a
lifetime of informed choices in the global agriculture, food, fiber and
natural resources systems."