From:
Martin Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:44:24 -0600
I'll add to David spot on statements.

Coral head islands have large outcroppings of coral and the beach sand
is coral.  Parrot fish with beaks like parrots Chomp down on a living
coral, crush it and have lunch.  Then flakes of coral flow out the
gills.   They create massive coral 'sand' flows.   I suppose this is a
way to make the coral grow to reclaim area.  I used to skin dive and
drive down to 10 or more meters to collect shells in coral sand.   I saw
this on Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands in the 60's.

This is a massive CO2 bank stored in thousands of feet of coral walls
making the atoll.

Martin Eastburn