From:
Steve Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:41:50 -0500
Dear LIST-ers

I am posting this information request on behalf of Larry Potter, who just signed up for the list-serv but does not seem to have full functionality yet on the site:

Larry is working on a retrospective history of our two defunct  local clubs (New York Shell CLub and Long Island Shell Club) and has some information requests that others may be able to answer......if you have this info you can either post to the list and/or email Larry directly at

I am writing a history of the New York Shell Club and am trying to find out some basic information about the Long Island Shell Club (LISC), both of which I belonged to.

• Can anyone tell me if a profile or 'obituary'  of the LISC was ever published?

•  I would like to know the dates of the club, from opening to closing. I believe the club started in 1974 or 1975, and from discussion in the club newsletter,  Irradians, it seems like it closed around 2002.

• What was the lifespan of Irradians ? Evidently Irradians was first issued in 1980 and was the continuation of Long Island Shell Club News. I would like to find out start and end dates, and number of the final issue.

• No author or place of publication is indicated for the club's book, Seashells of Long Island, New York, which was published in 1988. Can anyone explain this?

Many thanks for any clarifications.

Larry Potter, Columbia University ([log in to unmask])

http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L&A=1