From:
Sylvia op facebook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:26:17 +0100
Dear Jan,
On Curacao it is forbidden to collect Aliger gigas and all corals because of the Cites list, and it is actively checked.
To export other shells from Curacao to another country you need a permit. You can ask it at Carmabi. Collecting live specimens was not allowed, but it was no problem to get a permit for dead specimens from the beach. I had to make a list of species and the number of each species, and these names and numbers were copied in the permit. I also collected some shell grit with micro shells, I listed that as "micro shells unidentified" and that was accepted.
I had to put all shells in boxes or bags with, labelled with a text that there were no Cites species in it.
Doing it this way I had no problems on the airport.
The best is to contact Carmabi in advance, so you can make an appointment to get the permit with them when you are there.
Good luck, and enjoy the beautiful island of Curacao.
Sylvia van Leeuwen