DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Zhenong Jin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2022 23:27:03 -0700
Dear All,

The Digital Agricultural Group at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
is looking for two *postdoc *candidates to work on *AI for Agriculture and
Earth System Prediction*. Research in our group spreads across the spectrum
of process-based modeling, remote sensing, data-model fusion, and hybrid AI
modeling. We are dedicated to advancing science and technology for
achieving food security and agroecosystem sustainability.

*Leveraging the recent AI boom to substantially improve agroecosystem
prediction is a paradigm-shift topic in the coming decade*. In particular,
Knowledge Guided Machine Learning (KGML) as a hybrid modeling approach has
demonstrated great potential in several geoscience disciplines. We would
invite highly motivated applicants to further develop and apply KGML to
investigate a range of critical questions concerning agroecosystem
sustainability.

Successful candidates will be supported to work on one or more topics
listed below:

● Develop AI-driven methods to assimilate remote sensing and low-cost
sensor observations into KGML models to improve the prediction of GHG
emissions, climate risks, and crop productions.
● The application of KGML for Climate-Smart Agriculture and optimizing
management practices.
● Modeling the impacts of agricultural nitrogen (N) management on air and
water quality.
● Modeling agricultural phosphorous (P) cycle, with a focus on P losses
from cropland to water bodies and coupling with N cycle.
● GeoAI for commodity mapping and sustainable supply chain management

 The successful applicants will be supervised by Dr. Zhenong Jin (
https://bbe.umn.edu/people/zhenong-jin) and collaborate closely with
leading experts from UIUC, Stanford, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory,
and many more academia and industrial collaborators.

*Essential Qualifications:*All applicants are expected to have a strong
quantitative background. The successful candidate will need to meet *at
least two* of the following expectations:
● Strong programming experience (e.g., Python, Fortran, or C++) and be
familiar with supercomputing and/or cloud platforms.
● Rich experience and code-level deep understanding of crop models or
watershed models.
● Rich experience with remote sensing algorithm development.
● Familiar with deep learning algorithms and libraries such as PyTorch and
TensorFlow, and have experience with GPU computing.

*About the Lab* (http://jinlab.bbe.umn.edu/): We are a fast-growing group
who tackles big challenges with innovation! We have sufficient resources
for supporting the exploration of high-risk high-reward ideas that can
revolutionize digital agriculture. We collaborate closely with many leading
groups in academia and the industry. What our work looks like? Please see
our most recent publications in Nature Climate Change
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-022-01327-3>, Remote Sensing of
Environment <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2022.112994>, and Geoscientific
Model Development
<https://gmd.copernicus.org/articles/15/2839/2022/gmd-15-2839-2022.html>.

*Applications*: Qualified candidates must send a short introduction email
and CV to Dr. Zhenong Jin ([log in to unmask]). The interview will start
immediately until all positions are filled. A competitive salary will be
provided based on experience. The positions have a funding commitment for
two years, with possibilities for renewal or promotion upon performance.

Best,
Jin