From:
Tsering Wangyal Shawa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2023 01:31:32 +0000
Hi Brendan,

Cataloging a map series is always a challenge to map catalogers. Should they catalog the map at an individual sheet level, or at collection level? Cataloging at collection level saves time, however, cataloging at an individual sheet level provides better access in finding an individual sheet. In your case,  I think the best solution is to catalog the US 24K map series by state. However, when you catalog them by state, list all the sheet names in the 505 field. This will allow a person to search any individual sheet from a catalog record and also find out all the sheets you have on that state from one catalog record. Of course, you can link the scanned map index to the catalog record to give coverage of that series by state.

A few years ago, I was making a decision on how to catalog the AMS 1:25K scale map series on India and Pakistan. We made a decision to catalog all the map sheets at collection level and added all the sheet numbers and names in the 505 field in the catalog record. This has allowed us to link (https://catalog.princeton.edu/catalog/99125464907006421)  four expressions (paper map, scanned map, georeferenced map, and mosaic map) of the same map on one catalog record. Now a patron can find not only the paper map record from the above catalog record link, but also view and download scanned and georeferenced maps, and also view a mosaic map (all the sheets together). This mosaiced map can be added to any GIS software packages that can read Web Map Tile Services or XYZ Tile Services. I think cataloging the way we have done might give you more options in the future.

Thanks,

-Wangyal

Tsering Wangyal Shawa

GIS and Map Librarian

​Head, Map and Geospatial Information Center

Peter B. Lewis Library

Washington Road & Ivy Lane

Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

Telephone: 609-258-6804

Make an appointment<https://libcal.princeton.edu/appointments/wangyal>

http://library.princeton.edu/collections/pumagic