From:
"March, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:14:10 +0000
Hello,

We're needing to relocate our map collection to offsite storage in the next year or so, and we have some collections that are not cataloged at the item level.  Once the maps are relocated offsite, they'll no longer be browsable by campus and public.  Have any of you had to relocate your uncataloged map collections offsite, and if so, how did you make the maps discoverable by public that aren't cataloged individually?  We don't have the resources to catalog/barcode every map at the item level, so are trying to learn about alternative ways to make the maps discoverable by patrons via the catalog and research guides, and by our storage staff for retrieval at the future offsite storage facility.  I have some ideas to help enable discovery, but would appreciate any ideas /suggestions from the map community.

Best,

-Greg

Gregory H. March
Map & Government Information Librarian
Associate Professor
University of Tennessee
Hodges Library
Knoxville, TN 37996
865-974-3878
Research Guides - Anthropology<http://libguides.utk.edu/anthropology>, Earth & Planetary Sciences<http://libguides.utk.edu/subject/eps>, Geography<http://libguides.utk.edu/geography>, Maps<http://libguides.utk.edu/map>, Government<http://libguides.utk.edu/sb.php?subject_id=39793>
Tennessee Committee on Geographic Names<http://libguides.utk.edu/TNCOGN>