From:
Rebecca Seifried <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2024 22:41:24 +0000
Hello all,

A patron would like to donate a map they purchased in 1966 depicting the distribution of wildlife across the former USSR - viewable here<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QCfCGdlUBtFXJn-mknZBWigpnDb48SVg/view?usp=drive_link>, with detail here<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vwI65SS_UMfmA2cD5czdloMZnX7hVVv7/view?usp=drive_link>. The map consists of four paper sections mounted on a cloth; it can be folded for transport. The mounted dimensions are 84 inches wide x 48 inches tall. The patron reports: "The map is in reasonably good condition considering its age, but it is getting fragile and could profit from some conservation measures."

Unfortunately, the map is outside the scope of our map collection and we can't accept it. Can anyone recommend a map library or archive to contact for potential donation?

Other than a similar map posted for sale on an auction site, we haven't been able to track down information about this specific map. According to this research guide<https://guides.loc.gov/russia-maps/animals#s-lib-ctab-25434177-0>, the LOC holds 15 uncatalogued maps that may or may not be related, including later editions of the 1950 map they describe at the bottom of the page. Would it make sense to advise the patron to reach out to the LOC?

Much appreciation,
Becky

Rebecca Seifried, PhD (she/they)

Geospatial Information Librarian