From:
Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2024 23:14:36 +0000
All,

I feel silly asking this after all the years I've been working with aerial photography, but perhaps I can tap the collective wisdom.  We're hoping to start a systematic AP scanning project and are developing a metadata schema for individual scans.

  1.  Does anyone have one they are willing to share with us?
  2.  At minimum I want to have adequate citation information.  I have been running into some confusion/overlap of terms.  It looks like people are using the following terms in this way
     *   Source - Archive/repository/owner of the original item scanned.
     *   Author - Company that flew the aerial photography. (May be contracted by the publisher or also the publisher?)
     *   Publisher - Agency who commissioned the photography to be flown (This makes sense for a government agency that then makes the prints available, but what about a private company that commissioned the flight for their internal use?  Are these published once they get out in the wild? Is the publisher the one who flew the photography or the one who commissioned it.)

A lot of the source information about author/publisher is gleaned from the indexes. And citation information is not always clear cut.

Thanks for any templates shared or clarification on these three definitions.

PS - I'm aware of the scheme EROS uses.  I'm considering what can be adapted from that.

Kathy Stroud
Cartographic and Government Information Librarian
1299 University of Oregon Libraries
Eugene, OR 97403
541-346-3051

schedule an appointment @ https://uoregon.libcal.com/appointment/42037