From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:21:18 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:48:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: One More Cartifact <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

My favorite cartifact that I have actually seen is along the lines of the
sausage wrapper Alice Hudson describes.

I acquired one of those really marvelous traveller's wallets from Levenger
catalogue a few years ago.  It came in a nice box, and was wrapped inside
the box with tissue.  Printed on the tissue is a reproduction of some
antique map of the world in hemispheres, complete with Poseidon at the
top, and all sorts of mythical monsters and other decorative
elements.  The classiest tissue wrapper I've ever seen.

The classiest cartifact I personally was involved with was a gift for my
wife.  It is a lapis lazuli pendant on a silver chain.  The pendant is a
globe, with the blue lapis representing the oceans; it has inlaid
mother-of-pearl to represent the continents.  It's not bad for something
the size of a grape, but the detail is lacking a bit.  I would really love
to see some cloisonee cufflinks portraying globes.

And I've seen a catalog that sells those maps like silk scarves aviators
during WWII were reported to have had on their persons.  I got to catalog
one of the Pacific in a course with Caroline Frost on cataloging non-book
materials back many years ago at University of Michigan.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA
--- End Forwarded Message ---