From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:09:16 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:57:15 -0400
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fwd: Re: One More Cartifact <fwd>
Sender: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Darius,

I'm not one to wear a neck tie that often either but as I get older I must
be getting more conservative (doesn't everyone???) as I find myself wearing
ties 2-4 days/week at work! Not only that, but I now have FOUR map ties in
my personal collection and a wonderful little gift store here in State
College (of all places; like you I have always kept my eyes open for map
ties wherever I travel with no luck!) that has a range of 4-6 different map
ties for sale all the time! So, if you are interested, I could easily
purchase map ties for you at any time. They range in style from
reproductions of early Portolan-type charts, to a couple of city plans (I
have the Washington, D.C. one but I think they have one for Boston and one
for NYC too). I bought myself a tie that shows the physical landmasses of
Earth's two poles and Australia in shades of yellow and gold and tan set in
a Navy blue background that is gorgeous. Finally, the first map tie I found
was at the gift shop at the State Library of Virginia a couple of years
ago, when I went to teach basic map cataloging to staff there for a couple
of days. It is a historical map of parts of western Africa and some of the
Middle East, set in a pale yellow with illustrations of sailing ships and
"sea monsters" on it! Neat!

The most I've paid for any of my four ties is $20 U.S., just to give you an
idea of expense. Anyway, email me if you are interested and it will give me
an excuse to stop by the store again soon and see what is new there!

Paige

Paige Andrew
Faculty Maps Cataloger
   and Associate Librarian