From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:24:45 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: U.S. county-level relief data
Date:   Thu, 22 Dec 2005
From:   Roger L Payne <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I do not know if the data exists, but every State has a county or county
equivalent.  The independent cities (30 some) in Virginia are county
equivalents, that is, first order civil divisions of the State, and equal
to the Virginia County (there are also one each independent cities in
Maryland, Missouri, and Nevada).  In Alaska, the Boroughs are county
equivalents, and the unorganized area is, in fact, organized into Census
Districts, which are county equivalents.  Also, the Parishes in Louisiana
are county equivalents as well.  The peculiar New England situation is
relevant only in New England.  Specifically, the Towns (not like towns
anywhere else except to a degree in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey)
are still considered second order civil divisions of the State, and the
county (even if it's government is non-functioning or even abolished) is
still the first order civil division.  Also, the territories and
Commonwealths have county equivalents.

Roger L. Payne

             "Angie Cope,
             AGSL"
             <[log in to unmask]>                                            To
             Sent by: "Maps,           [log in to unmask]
             Air Photo &                                                cc
             Geospatial
             Systems Forum"                                        Subject
             <[log in to unmask]         MAPS-L: U.S. county-level relief
             UGA.EDU>                  data

             12/22/2005 09:28
             AM

             Please respond to
             "Maps, Air Photo
               & Geospatial
              Systems Forum"
                 UGA.EDU>

MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L