Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:04:05 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Classifying a small map collection using LC?
Date:   Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:32:07 -0500 (EST)
From:   Colleen Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Carolyn,

   A classification scheme for your collection, no matter how small, is a
good idea.  I have a few questions:

-Does the rest of your Library use the LC Class system?
-If so, Do you have access to Classification web? <http://classificationweb.net/>
-Do you plan to catalog the maps?

The LC Classification of maps is in the G schedule, numbers G1000 to
G9999: numbers from G1000 to G3171 are for atlases and globes, then map
numbers to the end.  You can buy a paper copy of the G schedule, but if
you are serious about using this schedule, I would recommend access to
Classification Web because there are many, many (100,000's) geographic
cutter tables that you will need to access. If your Library already uses
Class Web, that would make this easier.

The G schedule allows you to class the maps of the universe down to
subsections of cities and everything between.  The basic layout is
geographic: maps begin with the Universe, then go through
Celestial maps, the Moon and then the World (Earth).  The pattern
continues with the world divided by hemispheres, zones and regions, then
by continents, then continental regions, then countries, their regions,
provinces or states, and so on.

An area is often represented by a range of numbers, for example, maps of
North Carolina are G3900 to G3904.  The Special Instructions for Tables of
Subdivisions for Cartographic Materials
<http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/class_g.pdf> gives more details on how
these numbers are used, but in a nutshell:

G3900 - General maps of North Carolina
G3901 - Thematic maps of North Carolina
G3902 - Regional maps of North Carolina
G3903 - County maps of North Carolina
G3904 - City maps of North Carolina

   Cutters are then added to further define the theme or place that the
map is showing.

  I am giving this long-winded overview because there are a number of
issues with using the LC Class schedule that you will need to consider.
Having used the G Schedule for many years, I can say it is one of the most
logical of the LC class schedules and (for me) it was no where near as
confusing as the K or the H schedules.

If you are cataloging the maps, you might find copy cataloging that
already as the class number in the record and also your cataloging records
could be shared by others. If you are just using the Class system to
arrange the maps and have no plans to catalog them, you need to look at
your acces to the G Schedule and how much it will cost. You don't say if
you plan to grow this collection, which is another consideration on how
much you want to spend.

  Hope this was useful and not too long. Let me know if I can clarify any
points.

Colleen
 Colleen R. Cahill                   |  [log in to unmask]
 Digital Conversion Coordinator      |  (202)707-8540
  & Recommending Officer for         |  FAX (202)707-8531
       Science Fiction & Fantasy     |  Library of Congress
These opinions are mine, Mine, Mine! |  Washington, DC 20540-4652