From:
Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 1994 16:21:04 EDT
Hey folks, we are down to 2 weeks from SLA Annual Conference time!! I don't
know about the rest of you but this is getting a bit scary for me! I wanted to
pass on a bit of information regarding our Monday afternoon tour of the ERDAS
facilities plus a quick reminder about the length of our day on Thursday in
regards to anyone who may be flying out of Atlanta Thursday night.

First, to give all of you who are going or those of you who haven't decided on
going but are interested, a bit more information on ERDAS and one of their
latest projects. In the April 16, 1994 issue of the Atlanta Journal-Constitu-
tion, in the paper's _ScienceWatch_ column, is a brief article on how ERDAS'
software technology was used on one of the most recent shuttle flights.
You may recall that the primary mission of the shuttle flight that occurred in
April was to use the latest radar technology to probe the earth's surface. Well
according to the article, "Atlanta-based ERDAS Inc. has provided the imaging
software that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration is using to
analyze radar returns from more than 400 selected sites around the world, from
the snow-covered Alps to the sun-baked sands of the Sahara. The company's
"Imagine" software is an advanced version of software already used for remote
sensing applications by government and industry groups around the world."

This is apparently one of the major areas that the company is involved with,
imaging software, so it will be exciting to find out some of the other areas
with which they are also involved in and how there products may impact our
collections now and into the future! One other note regarding the tour, trans-
portation is yet to be worked out from the hotels downtown to ERDAS, which is
located north of the downtown area in a suburb of the city called Druid Hills,
however, I will have a positive answer from Jim Mears by the end of the day
regarding the possibility of having us use a hotel shuttle service to get us
up and back. If this does not work out then I have two other backup plans and
will explain them later if needed.

My second item mentioned above concerns anyone who may have their outgoing
flights booked for Thursday night, June 15th. I anticipate that the tour to
Macon will get back to the downtown hotels between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. However,
not knowing from day to day what kind of catastrophe has occurred on any of the
interstates and/or highways in and out of Atlanta and its impact on traffic, it
is possible that we won't return until around 6:30 (severe thunderstorms and/or
tornadoes also can impact the length of time it will take to return to Atlanta)

My recommendation to anyone who may have a flight booked for around 7 p.m. is
to see if you can possibly arrange for a later flight out. If that is not a
possibility, please contact me directly and I will work with you and the bus
driver about leaving Macon earlier in the afternoon if we need to or making
similar adjustments in the current itinerary. I hope this notice helps to
prevent any problems with folks who plan on going with us to Macon on Thursday
but also plan on flying out that night. Again, I am more than happy to work
with any of you who need assistance in this area, simply pick up the phone or
give me an email message in the next couple of days.

Thats all for now folks. I will be posting the latest information/news
regarding the SLA Annual Conference on Monday of next week. Thank you to all of
you who let me know in the past few days which events they will be attending.
If any of the rest of you know at this point which of the tours or eating
establishments you want to go on (and I know there are some of you out there
because I got the numbers of people who have registered for the breakfast
meeting and the Macon tour from Jim about 30 minutes ago and have only heard
from 6-8 of you via email to date) please do pass them on to me so that I can
make sure of the number of reservations to keep as well as let our tour guides
know how many of us to expect.

Until Monday,
Paige

Mr. Paige G. Andrew