From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1993 12:10:24 EDT
Another very important older map series is the early soil surveys.  We use the
early sheets heavily for historical research.

Many years ago I saved a duplicate set (up to the 60's) from being discarded by
the Science Library.  As part of the Science Library's move of material into a
remote storage building I have been told to discard the set.  The stacking of
cases 5 high in the Map Room has something to do with that mandate and with
the Map Collection deciding to undertake a weeding project.  Most of the early
soil surveys we will keep (the ones with flat sheet maps) but we will discard
most of the soil surveys in booklet format.

     Does anyone want the old soil surveys for their state or region?  I have
promised Tenn. and Fla. to JOM and HJA but the other areas are free.  What is
available is what was in the duplicate set.  I have not, and will not,
inventoried the set.  If you want any of these soil surveys let me know.
I would prefer requests via the net.

     Johnnie Sutherland
     University of Georgia
     JSUTHERL@UGA     or     [log in to unmask]