From:
Jim O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 15:20:32 EDT

Hello, Mapfolk:

We're beginning a project to encapsulate our Los Angeles County 6' topos,
and we've come up against a problem we've managed to avoid before:  what to
do with edge-taped maps.  Some of our copies were edge-taped, and I'm sure
I want to remove that tape before encapsulation.  However, like most tapes
it appears to be pretty permanently affixed, and even when I've managed to
remove some without doing too much damage to the map (don't worry, I haven't
done much of this yet) it still leaves a residue.  My options appear to
be:
        1.  leave the tape on.
        2.  remove what I can and figure out what to do about the residual
                glue?  [What might that be, by the way?]
        3.  Trim the edges off.  [Most would probably not lose any
                information, although a couple appear to have had reprint
                info obscured.]

Could I have some advice, please?  Reply to me directly, and I'll summarize
for the list at a later date.

Thanks mucho.

Jim O'Donnell