From:
Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2017 11:26:26 -0800
We've been downsizing ever since I got here.  I haven't lost storage
capacity yet though--because I did a careful evaluation when I arrived and
determined that our flatfiles were 200% full.  So even though we've weeded
something like 60,000 sheets (most topos, but there's been a lot of
de-duping), thus far our upcoming renovation doesn't force me to throw away
any maps cases.

Fewer and fewer places are keeping nation-wide topos.

As for process and advice:  I think we've all been depending on the Force
to guide us down to the size that our institutions are willing to make us.
I do fear, especially knowing how many collections, like mine, are not
fully cataloged, that there are babies in that there bathwater.

-j

Jon Jablonski
Spatial Data Librarian, Map & Imagery Lab
Interim Director, Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory
UCSB Library
805-893-4049