From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:00:14 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:37:37 -0400
From: Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Cataloging maps with a bad scale bar <fwd>
Sender: Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>

I may be preaching to the choir on this but....

As someone with a background in Geomatics, I cringe at photocopy and scale
being used in the same sentence.  Generally, photocopiers do not produce the
same scale in X and Y.  The same statement can be said of the desktop
scanners and the proliferation of images they produce.  Due to mechanical
and optical imperfections, most of these reproductions will have varying
degrees of distortion throughout the image or copy.  Only if the
imperfections are modeled and the model subsequently used to transform the
reproduction, can one even attempt to use the data.  Obviously, detailed
meta-data about original source, date, reproduction acquisition method (i.e.
photocopy, scan method, etc...), and potential scale in X and Y go a long
way towards allowing someone to interpret the data's intended use.

Just some thoughts.

Joe Aufmuth
GIS Coordinator
University of Florida