From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:00:49 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:02:37 -0500
From: minton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SURVEYOR'S MAPS (PLATS). . .
Sender: minton <[log in to unmask]>

MAPS-L FOLK:

27 days til Groundhog Day!

Have any of you folk been approached by local/state professional land
surveyors with a "proposition" of saving historically-important maps
that are in their possesion or the family of a surveyor who has died?  I
am sure that most of you map librarians are aware (because of the nature
of their work) surveyors have a special affection for historical maps
and do not wish for them to be tossed upon their death by unknowing
realtives. We're talking about THOUSANDS of maps many of which are no
more than subdivision plats.  Of course many of these are maintained in
the Register of Deeds office at our local courthouses (until the big
fire comes) but many of these surveyors have acquired some really
important maps dating from the 1700s.

Has anyone out there had any experience in working with these type of
masp and what did you do with them.  Treat them like archival materials
in groups?  Photocopy the good ones and add to your collections, or has
anyone borrowed them for a digitizing project?

I suppose I should write a grant for a large $$$$ scanner, eh?

Commnets, reflections?

Jim Minton
University of Tennessee
--- End Forwarded Message ---