From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1993 16:49:57 EDT
The following two messages give different views on the question Jim Minton
raised about pricing gift maps and Map Librarians putting a dollar value
estimate of maps.  I do not like to give estimates on the dollar value of
maps.  I can give estimates    of other types of value for a map because
I work with those variables all the time.  You ask me the dollar value of a
current map and I can give an estimate based on what I purchase.  Older
material presents a problem.  I can look in the Jolly books, estimate the
condition of the map, and come up with a figure.  But only those Map
Librarians that deal with older material, and the purchase of such material,
as the major part of their work, can give an estimate  that I would consider
solid.  The professional dealers should be the source of these value estimates.
It is their job.     However what do you do with the NGS maps, and others,
that may have not yet made it to the dealer's world??  This is where Jim's
question raises the most problems for Map Librarians.  I have seen NGS maps
in flea markets and used book stores offered for between $1 and $3.  I have
also seen older NGS maps that are semi-mounted in higher class used book
stores where the price was in the $30 to $40 range.  The dollar value of
these and other 'used' maps are determined, just as for a Blaeu, by market
factors that are outside the general map library world.  Is there a source for
the value of these used maps???  Where is the market?? I would never buy an old
NGS map for the collection because I will get copies as gifts.

Johnnie

         Re: PRICES OF GIFT MAPS
      Wed, 29 Sep 93 13:09:03 -0700

If I remember correctly from what I found out at the
time that the regs. changed (I was at the Colorado School
of Mines Library at the time, which receives LOTS of gifts),
the IRS is unlikely to believe any estimates for
map values unless they are:
1. given by appraisers who do that sort of work
for a living;
2. from some publication, such as the Jolly
Antique maps ....
Also - I have to admit that since I don't sell
maps, I don't have the faintest idea what eg an
NGS map is worth, beyond "whatever the market
will bear," which is not in the least helpful.
And I seem to remember from a library school
class x number of years ago that it is dangerous
to give out any info relating to ANYTHING, but
especially to anything having to do with
money or a legal matter, that the librarian
 can not point to a printed/online source and
 say,"This source says this."
Mary L. Larsgaard, Map & Imagery Lab, UCSB

          Wed, 29 Sep 1993 14:04 MST
      DEBBIE LORDS  <[log in to unmask]>
          Re: PRICES OF GIFT MAPS

I agree with Jim.  No, HE can't supply the numbers, but something is
RADICALLY wrong if a map librarian, who does collection
development/purchasing for her/his library, is not considered an expert in
the field.  (I'm not involved with that so I can't supply numbers [sorry,
Jim] ).

But Good Grief!  When someone asks me about what kind of computer they should
buy for their home, I don't quote them an ALA rule about objectivity, I
consult with them and help them find an ANSWER!  If someone were to ask me
what are a couple of good basic DOS books that they could buy -- I'd tell
them!  I'd give my educated, informed view.

Y'all are educated in the value of maps.  Who are better experts?  Plus, the
IRS would only challenge it if it were a really outrageous sum, like one NGS
map worth $500,000.

Debra Lords
Marriott Library
Univ. of Utah