From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:06:35 -0600

Subject:        Re: The decline and fall of the descriptive gazetteer
Date:   Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:02:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:   A CARLUCCI <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

In my years working in US libraries one of the three key reference
sources always right behind the reference desk was the Columbia
Lippincott Gazetteer of the World. This had lengthy descriptive entries
and was being published at least into the 1990s. I don't know off hand
if a print version still exists, but the online subscription version
(now called The Columbia Gazetteer of the World) remains one of the most
useful sources on placenames and geographical history one can find.
April Carlucci